Home About Us Contact Us
Print Print Friendly

Private Career Schools

The Workforce Board licenses and regulates around 325 private career schools doing business in the state of Washington. The agency also investigates student complaints and administers a fund that reimburses students affected by a school closure.

Information for Students

Looking for a School?
Before you choose a private career school, check to be sure it's licensed with the state. View our current list of licensed schools.

Complaints Against a School

Request a Transcript

Is Your School Closed?

Commercial Truck Driving Schools

Information for School Administrators




Contact our Consumer Protection Unit for more information, 360-709-4600.



School Notices Changing

Attention Private Vocational Schools that have been licensed for 10 years or less! The Washington Administrative Code that regulates private vocational schools was recently revised. There are several changes to the regulations and we encourage you to become familiar with them, but we want you to be particularly aware of a change to your scheduled renewal and Tuition Recovery Trust Fund (TRTF) payment deadlines.

Over the next year, we will align your TRTF due dates with your license renewal due date. This means both TRTF payments will be due at the same time as your license renewal application. You will receive one notification per year rather than three. We believe this will make it easier for you because you'll have just one deadline to remember. We also hope it results in fewer late fees.

As we roll out this process, we are bound to make mistakes; we apologize in advance. Please feel free to contact us with questions or concerns. If one lump sum payment is a hardship for you, please contact us and we will make different arrangements. 

Changed Catalog Requirements

Washington's Administrative Code was recently revised, creating new catalog requirements for private career schools. At the next renewal period, please include the following changes in your catalog:

  • Provide a statement that your school does not "discriminate against students or potential students on the basis of race, creed, color, national origin, sex, veteran or military status, sexual orientation, or the presence of any sensory, mental, or physical disability or the use of a trained guide dog or service animal by a person with a disability."

  • Provide a statement explaining the procedure to be used by a student with a disability to request a reasonable accommodation.

  • Include the following statement in the school's student conduct policy: "Nothing in the policy prevents the student from contacting the Workforce Board at 360-709-4600 at any time with a concern or complaint."

  • Describe facilities and training equipment (including ADA access, if available).

  • Ensure the Workforce Board's contact number is correct in the catalog and enrollment agreement, 360-709-4600.

Note:  Please make sure you update your catalog checklist online and send the revised materials electronically or by mail with your renewal payment.

U.S. Education Department Announces Debt Relief for Everest Students
The U.S. Department of Education announced that students who were defrauded at Corinthian Colleges campuses, operating under its Everest and WyoTech brands, in states including Washington, have a clear path to loan forgiveness. Read more about this announcement and how to apply for debt relief.






Last Modified 8/26/2016   |   Contact Webmaster   |   Privacy Statement   |   Site Map   |   Employment   |   Access Washington   |   Register to Vote