Students at both the high school and college level will come together on Monday, March 27 at the Capitol Campus in Olympia to demonstrate their technical skills as they build portable, energy efficient, homeless shelters
Where: Capitol Campus, Olympia
When: Monday, March 27, 2017 (scroll to Shedule of Events for details)
Who: This competition features teams from Washington high schools, Skill Centers, and community and technical colleges.
Members of the media: Contact Communications Director Marina Parr on her cell at 360-320-8213 with questions.
The Workforce Board has put together a demonstration project that showcases the skills of Career and Technical Education (CTE) students through a one-day competition. Come see for yourself how Washington students are putting their CTE skills to work to make a difference!
Shelters to serve Seattle homeless at Licton Springs
Finished shelters will provide transitional homeless housing after they are moved to Licton Springs at 8620 Aurora Ave. N. in Seattle.
Get social with us and help us share this heartfelt event!
--Like our CTE Showcase of Skills Facebook page!
--Join us on Twitter @WorkforceWash and use #CTEShowcase
Schedule of Events
- Continental breakfast-7 a.m.
- Opening welcome-7:15 a.m.
- Mandatory safety meeting-7:30 a.m.
- Shelter Build on North Diagonal-8 a.m.-11:30 a.m.
- Judging-8 a.m.-11:30 a.m.
- Event Tent-11:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. (Lunch/Guest Speakers)
- Shelter Build on North Diagonal-12:30-3 p.m.
- Judging-12:30-3:30 p.m.
- Event Tent-3:30-4:30 p.m. (Student speakers/guest speakers, certificates of recognition).
- Awards-4:15 p.m.
- North Diagonal-4:30 p.m. (Load/transport completed shelters).
Sponsorships Make a Difference
To make this project a success, we are grateful for the financial support to help pay for tents, tools, food and drinks, overnight accomodations...and more!
Staff contact: Terri Colbert, (360) 709-4623
*All donations are tax-deductible.
|Gold Level - $7,500 +
||Display space for organization/company + Podium + Banner + Event Program + for the first 5 gold-level sponsors who commit by January 31, 2017 a logo display & name one the back of team t-shirts
|Silver Level - $5,000 - $7,499
||Podium + Banner + Event Program
|Bronze Level - $2,500 - $4,999
||Banner + Event Program
|Friend of CTE – $100 - $2,500
KING 5 TV (article w/ video)
KIMA TV (article w/ video)
KBTC TV (video)
Everett Herald (article)
Snohomish County Tribune (article)
The Olympian (article w/ video)
Northwest Now (video)
Tacoma News Tribune (article)
Auburn Reporter (article)
Centralia Chronicle (article)
Aberdeen Daily World (article)
Pierce County Skills Center (video)
Arlington School District (article)
West Valley School District, Spokane (article)
CTE: Not your grandpa's shop class (Olympian)--NEW!
Opinion piece on value of CTE by Workforce Board Executive Director Eleni Papadakis and Workforce Board Chair Perry England
News release: Students from across WA build tiny shelters (PDF)
A Bates Technical College student works on a shelter in preparation for the 2017 #CTE Showcase of Skills on March 27 in Olympia.
Shelter Makes a Difference
Washington's Workforce Board is hosting this event in partnership with:
- Washington Building Trades
- Washington State Labor Council
- Association of Washington Business
- Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction
- State Board for Community and Technical Colleges
- Construction Center of Excellence
- Pacific Northwest Center of Excellence for Clean Energy
- Skills USA
- Department of Labor and Industries, Apprenticeship
- Washington Association for Career Technical Education
- Department of Enterprise Services
- Low Income Housing Institute, Seattle
- Sawhorse Revolution
DSHS Pitches In to Furnish Homeless Shelters
Watch this video and learn how DSHS staff collected supplies and furnishings to fill these shelters with basic ammenities.
Work for the state? Donate through Combined Fund Drive!
to: https://www.cfd.wa.gov/search and enter
"Showcase of Skills" into the Charity Name. The search provides donors
with information about the project and a link to make a donation.